Monday, September 3, 2012

Turned 54 Years Old Today


I almost always post my weekend rides on Facebook and on my team's website. As you usually see 4, 5 sometimes 8, maybe even 10 riders show up. I posted an easy paced 55 mile ride for today. It being my birthday wasn't mentioned as a part of my posts. Over 30 riders showed up today. They even sang happy birthday to me. Pretty cool, huh?

I was a little nervous, that's a lot of folks to keep track of, let alone keep safe. The first part of the ride I spent trying to estimate how many flats we'd probably have during the ride (that's over 60 tires), but as the ride progressed everything just kept on going so smooth. No problems arose, the weather was perfect, traffic was practically non-existent, the riders were all talkin', laughing and just enjoying the scenery. It was perfect, and stayed that way for the entire ride. My daughter Gabrielle rode with us, which is always so cool for me.

One other wonderful aspect to this story: One of our teammates was diagnosed with cancer awhile back. She was pronounced cancer free a few months ago, and rode with us today, for the entire 55 miles. The smile on her face was amazing. She and her husband were able to ride because of another teammate, Eric Thoerner, who stayed with their 3 kids this morning.

Pretty cool people I get to ride with, huh? 55/16.9


2 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

That is sweet, the birthday riders....:-)

tainterturtles said...

That's really nice Tom. I'm glad you had such a great group ride and a wonderful birthday!