Friday, July 25, 2008

Fondling Frames

Just some quick errands...maybe about 7 miles at the most.
I replaced my cantilever brakes with V brakes on my cross bike and have to use a Travel Agent to keep my road brake levers working. The Travel Agent hits the rack. I took the rack off, but missed having it the other day when I was doing my grocery shopping. So I started looking at ways I could make the rack work with the Travel Agent. I raised the rack about 1/2 and inch, and inverted the support bar that hit the Travel Agent, but I still needed about another 1/2 inch and raising the rack wouldn't help. The support bar wouldn't hit the Travel Agent if the support bar connected to the frame about a 1/2 inch off the frame. Hmmmmm.
Bingo! Spacers! I went to the hardware store got a longer screw, and used two presta valve rings as spacers. I tightened the new screw to the support bar and the frame. The spacers worked perfectly and provided the room need for the Travel Agent to work freely. A 55 cent fix.


Later on I went over to a friends who just got her frame back from getting powder coated. It's a good lookin' job, and the frame looks crisp. I helped with putting the components back on the bike. I played more of a supervisory role, but did get my hands dirty. She's good with the tools and is enjoying getting to know more about working on bikes.

She loves that bike. Everything about it is going to be her. That's the way all bikes should be, just an extension of who we are...another limb.

No comments: