Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm A Lucky Dog

I've had a small crack in my Ksyrium rear rim for awhile. My last three rides have been noisier than I prefer, so that wheel is now off and the noisy culprit will be on it's way to the warranty department at Mavic. I have four sets of Ksyrium wheels. They've all cracked at one time or another. As long as the crack happens with in a year of purchase I get a new rim put on by Mavic. They've been pretty good about it. This will be my 3rd free rim replacement.

Now that we're back to standard time getting a ride in, before the sun goes down, can be a little difficult. I was able to get out at about 2:30, so for my entire 2hr ride I was enjoying sunshine. Apparently that makes me a fortunate canine. 33/17.7

3 comments:

Lynne said...

LOL! As someone said to me recently...Woof!

StevenCX said...

If Mavic rims keep cracking, why do you keep using them? My teammate also had a Ksyrium crack.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I think they are the best production wheel despite the cracks. I've always had problems with wheels. Lots of broken spokes and cracked rims, Ksyriums or not, over the years. I have several sets of Ksyriums so I'm not without a good pair of wheels.

Over the winter I think I'm going to build a rear wheel with DT rims, and see how that works. The DT's with double butted spokes will be heavier than the Ksyriums. I'll see how they feel and what the weight difference does, and go from there. Weight and stiffness has always been much more important to me than durability, but now that I rarely race I may opt for a wheel that is more durable.