Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Little Brisk This Morning

Old Blue and I started the ride with the actual temp at 12 below 0. Windchill was at 30 below 0. I kept my route very close to home. I'm stupid enough to go out on a day like today, but not so stupid that I'd get stranded too far from shelter. I stayed warm as I passed dog walkers and joggers. We all would nod in each other's direction as we passed acknowledging the very exclusive club we belonged to.

I was patting my self on the back noticing that I was the only cyclist out. That is until I was crossing the canal between Calhoun and Isles. Was it? Could it be...a Birchie? Damn! It was Todd Sample. He looked happy! He was wearing about half the amount of clothing I was! The worst of it...he was heading to Excelsior, which meant he'd be riding farther, much farther than I was.

I was only able to last for two hours. Nothing on my body was colder than anything else, but the cold was really taking a toll. At about 16 miles I passed my place and was fading fast. It was so hard not to turn in and call it a day, but if I went two more miles and then turned around and came back, I'd have put in a nice round even 20 miles. So being the mileage hound I am I kept on turning the crank. I'm pretty sure I set a personal best today for the longest shower. 20/10.9

No comments: