Saturday, May 30, 2009

Back Pat

Blew off some riding buddies, and took off solo. I had a really hard time deciding where to ride, but thought that heading to Hanover first would be smart, since the wind was revving up to 20 mph from that direction.

Just so everybody else knows now. There's a 2 1/2 mile stretch of Pioneer Trail just south of Hanover that is unpaved. The less than 2 pound aluminum Orbea frame, 200 gram 23 cm wide road tires, and Ksyrium SL3 rims deserve a standing ovation for their performance for the entire ride, but their stellar performance along this stretch was remarkable.

I don't know. How do you describe this color of blue? And it was everywhere...just stunning. This was by the Crow River between Rockford and Delano.
Lake Waconia
I didn't know what to expect today. I was pretty apathetic about riding, and came very close to making this an 80 mile ride as I came into Watertown. I love the route between Watertown and Mayer, and I had the wind at my back, and I was feeling pretty good, so I kept on going.
There are so many things in life that take, or use energy from us. You'd think a solo 100 mile ride at 19.5 mph, in very windy conditions, would be one of those many things, but not today.
Feeling the road through my bike, the wind fighting against my chest, then gently aiding against my back, only hearing the growl of the wind in my ears, then the tires hum, seeing the rolling farm fields, the incredibly blue sky and lakes, the birds, horses, and the green...so much green, all this filled instead of emptied.
Most miles and best speed in over a month. My strategy from now on will be apathy. 97/19.5



1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Bravo for getting out on a very windy day.