Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Easy Does It

A year ago today I was enjoying my stay in the ER having road picked out of my face. The nurse was trying so hard to be gentle. She had to scrub pretty hard. There's still some of Minnetonka Blvd just below my eye along my cheek bone. I wasn't sure how seriously I was hurt, but started to realize that it could be bad, when the different doctors and nurses would cringe when they saw me. My teeth and gums are still tender, even though a year has passed.
I came away from that so thankful for great friends, loving kids, and remarkable strangers all who helped me so much.

Today's ride was completely different. 33/16.0

Along Cedar Lake Trail

35W Bridge Replacement Over Minnehaha Creek

3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Nice photos today.

Wow, look how far you've come in that one year span. I think the accident actually made you determined to ride more consistantly through good or bad weather. Good for you. Happy riding and no more accidents HL's!

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

The crash has brought about a significant drop in my time on the bike. I will have riden about 5000 fewer miles this year than last, and my speeds are down as well. There are one or two other things that have contributed to this reduction, but the crash is certainly the primary reason.
As my miles and speeds have decreased the number of photos have increased. This is not a coincidence, but is part of an understanding I came to as I was staring up at the florescent lights of the ER.

Lynne said...

Wow. I knew it was reduced, but thought it was maybe 1,000 miles at most. I'm going to be ecstatic if I can ride a total of 5,000 miles this year. Hard to believe that's just your reduction.

I'll help you out, though. Why don't you come over to Prescott with me and add a few miles :-) That's sure to boost your mileage back up by 5-10 miles. Heheh.

Sigh. Wish there was something else I could say. I understand how frustrating the year has been. You know that I think that what you've accomplished in a year that's disappointing to you still seems to me to be pretty superhuman. Regardless of what I say, it's still not the year you'd wished it would be, I know.

It's a shame there's no way to objectively measure your photography the way you can measure your cycling. You've had some spectacular photos (as is usually the case, I like the "accidental" ones the best, of course!). Your Fall photos last year are what inspired me to take this Fall vacation in Prescott. That's some lovely photography, wouldn't you say? ;-)