Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Simple Life

Woke up after the extra hour of sleep last night that fall back brings, with 16 miles to go. Yep, after yesterday's 70 mile trek with Amy and Anthony, I had 16 miles to pedal to get my 10,000 miles in for 2011. Just for reference, professional cyclists will typically ride 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year. That makes 6 years straight of 10,000 miles or more, for me, in the saddle, outside, in all types of weather, from tornado warnings, blizzards (Amy and I were talking yesterday about riding in this storm), 40 mile an hour crosswinds, lightning strikes, 105 degree heat indexes, windchills of 30 below, blinding downpours, hail, ice storms where the rain actually froze to my bike (I had to sit in my house for about 15 minutes and let my jacket thaw before I could get it off), innumerable flat tires and mechanicals repaired on the road, always with less than adequate tools, bee stings, nearly crashing into deer, running over squirrels, sunscreen and sweat in my eyes, frostbite, broken face, ribs, hand, shoulder and tail bone, not to mention all the skin I've left on the asphalt. And don't get me started on the near death experiences with those motorists that aren't paying attention.
I've been very fortunate to share some of these delightful experiences with wonderful friends. The last 4 to 5 years it's almost always been Amy, and the last 3 years it's rare if we're not spotted together on some rural road happily (at least at the end of the ride) tallying up the miles wearing off the rubber on our skinny, over-priced tires, wasting away a Saturday and Sunday.

GOD, I LOVE THIS!

Here's the evidence:
I stopped at the 16 mile mark, and although I didn't give a WOOT WOOT, or do a happy dance, the accomplishment didn't go unnoticed.
The 10,000th Mile Was Here (just north of Excelsior on Cty Rd 19)
After little to no ceremony I resumed doing what I love and seeing, feeling, hearing, smelling, and tasting the joy of simply riding a bike. 44/17.4
Leaves Are Almost All Gone

A Tribute To My Mom. She Would've Been 89 Today.

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

What an accomplishment....10,000 miles for the last six years, just amazing.

You are one tough Harry Legge's.

Your mom has a wonderful smile....I'm sure you miss her.

mrbill said...

Congratulations Tom, good job, you sure do know how to make cycling sound like fun. I was going to try and get half your mileage this year, but life intervened.