Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Hate Politics

I got this email from the Birchwood Team President, after today's ride.

Tom,
Frist let me say that I would rather have been able to have this conversation with you in person on the ride today. For a number of reasons, that didn't happen, but I don't want to ignore this opportunity to share my thoughts.In the two seasons you've been on the club, I've enjoyed countless conversations that I've had with you about our respective world views and have come to appreciate the insight and intelligence that you bring to those conversations. I come away from those chats certain that you are a level-headed and conscientious person and I appreciate your presence on the team.Given all of that, I have a hard time understanding who the Tom is that I sometimes see on some of our team rides, and today's is the recent example that spurs this message. I'm having a hard time squaring the thoughtful, community-oriented Tom in conversations with the "too important/busy/in-a-hurry to slow down for stop signs, wait for a red light to change, or wait for a teammate who dropped back as a result" person that can come out on rides. Now, I could certainly be way off in my interpretation, but as I repeatedly tell my students, we judge each other as much (usually more) on our actions as we do our words and I don't have an alternate interpretation to fit.I was not feeling spry enough to lead a ride today and was happy with someone taking over, but the tone changed the minute the whole group rolled through the first stop sign and it continued to plummet for me as the group rolled the next two and then couldn't wait five seconds for the light at Lake Street to change to green (it had clearly turned yellow when I pulled up to the intersection and I waited for the green). Had I been feeling better, I would have chased the group down and requested that we keep it a casual Sunday ride. I believed, however, that the group would notice that not everyone was together and wait up, giving me the chance to speak my peace when we regrouped.I can't tell you how disappointing it was to watch the group ride on ahead without a single person looking back. Although I don't and can't hold you personally responsible for the actions of others, I would like to suggest that the leader on the road of any ride sets the tone for how the whole group responds to the ride, each other, traffic, and traffic stops and that the tone could have been much different this morning than it was. (An analogy that comes from teaching is this: If I let my class start a day with a lot of freedom to act and behave in any way they choose, I have a much different class (more unruly, less focused) than if I expect them to model successful and respectful behavior. Some days, I'm more flexible, but when we need to have a focused day, I am much more conscious of how I hold them to positive expectations. Although my work life is with 10- & 11-year-olds, I know that adults are not drastically different when it comes to some of these basic behavior patterns.)By the time the group disappeared from my view going around the curves on Otis, I determined that I wanted none of the nonsense I had already seen and went off on my own in search of some quality riding and thinking time. Needless to say, the group ride today was not a good experience for me, and I shudder to think what someone who was checking out our club would have thought had they been invited along. Are we now no different the GP, or Flanders, or the fixie-riding maniacs who don't think rules and respect apply to them?My goal with Birchwood is to get the team to a better place than it has maybe ever been in terms of community, teamwork, respect for other cyclists, and respect for other users of the road. There's only so far that we can go, admittedly, but I don't see that as an excuse to not care about it and try to make it a better experience for more people. I would much rather count you as an ally in that effort because I know that people do rightfully listen to you and follow your lead, regardless of whether you want them to.I'm interested in your thoughts and would gladly spend time in a conversation like we've often had on the bike discussing this further.
Thanks for your time, Andy

This was my response.

Andy:
Had our conversation taken place on the bikes, it would have been a very short one.
I'm sorry that you had a disappointing ride today. I won't take any responsibility for that though. Mostly because I think we are responsible for our own happiness, but also because of the "thank yous" I got from the other 5 riders. I was also very pleased with the tone of today's ride, and had no desire to change it.
I too have been pleasantly surprised by the delightful conversations I've had with you on our group rides. I respect you as a person and as a cyclist. You have a great wealth of knowledge about cycling. Nevertheless, as is the case with all people, you and I have differences, some of which are quite dramatic.
I joined Birchwood for one reason, and that was to meet a particular woman. Along with her, I have made some friends, that I have gotten very close to. I have no desire to leave the team. I get friendship from the team, and I give that back. I also enjoy giving my style of riding to the team, and offer it just about every Saturday. I am very confident, that when anyone rides with me, they know exactly what to expect. I do blow stop signs, when I deem it safe, and red lights don't always change for cyclists. Everyone knows that I ride just a little faster than I advertise, and those who have put in a real hard effort have been surprised to find that I'll soft pedal, and I'll even fall back and bring them back up to the group. None of that's going to change, Andy. Even when I have a BW kit on, or when I have organized a ride with an invitation extended to any BW team member. I hope this makes your effort to reconcile who Tom is a little easier.

I remember a TCBC ride many years ago. It was the hill ride. It was towards the end, and we were coming up Ohio. There weren't a whole lot of us. I was leading the charge. Just before Annapolis, a guy in a Loon State jersey came around me and beat me to Annapolis. That is really rare. Even PM hasn't beat me up Ohio. I remember saying to the Loon, "good job, Andy! Way to go!" Andy, if you put your foot down at every one of those stop signs along Ohio, that was an even more incredible job than I had thought at the time, because I sure as hell hadn't.

Your friend,
Tom

42/15.2

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No comments yet? Not possible.

Seems to me there are only 2 things you can do here:

1. Resign from the team immediately.

2. Not participate in team rides that you're not leading.

Nothing matters but this one fact: you dropped the ride leader (and team president) at a stop sign, 2 miles into the ride. I consider you a friend, Tom, but seriously - how is that respectful?

Unknown said...

NOT a stop sign, a stoplight. My bad.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Basis your comments, I think it is now time that you respectfully bow out of the Birchwood club. Itis pretty obvious that you joined the club for the wrong reason and that you have a general lack of consideration for the greater group. That said, your continued presence is going to prove increasingly disruptive and divisive. With the club's best interests in mind, please move on.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Excellent comments from Paula and Anonymous, and well thought out.

Respect is an interesting thing. Is it respectful to expect everyone to ride at your pace because you are slow that day? The president was not leading the ride. It was organized by Amy, not Andy. Everyone stopped at the stop light. Barb suggested that we move through it because no cars were coming, and the chances of the light changing for us was slim to none. I followed her lead, which I thought was reasonable and safe. It wasn't just me and Andy riding. There were several other riders. None of them felt like riding at Andy's pace, or obviously, they would have joined him.
Just because you're the president doesn't mean that you are a leader, right, wise, all knowing, or have the best interest of the team in mind.
There are lots of different views and approaches to cycling. Only having one choice seems so fundamentalist to me.
I don't expect anyone to follow me, if they want to join me on a ride, cool.
Resign or not participate? Not going to happen.
Maybe you two would be willing to identify exactly who you are. Paula, I tried to check into your blog, but couldn't get in. Express a little more about why you feel so strongly that I should leave the club/team, and how my three years on the team has been so disruptive and divisive. What about my approach to cycling is going to hurt not help the club/team?
I can't tell you how often I get appreciation from team members for the ride I've lead, or advice I've given them, or a bike I've helped them build.
I got too many friends on the team. I just don't want to leave. And that's why I joined the team, to make cycling friends. Obviously you two are very uncomfortable with me on the team. Aside from leaving the team and changing my riding style, tell me what I can do to make your time on the team a little more enjoyable.

All The Way Ray said...

Tom, I'm disappointed that you would join the club/team/squad/quiver to meet women. You're a total sleaze bag and should tender your resignation to the ballclub as soon as possible and turn in your key to the executive rest room. Minnesota is an utterly self-righteous place composed of people who think Minneapolis is a city. I shall no longer follow your Twitter tweets but may come back here to see any non-biking content.

Respectfully,

Allthewayray, Esquire

Anonymous said...

Tom,

You posted your personal correspondence with Andy on your Blog for anyone and everyone to read? That was a super classy move! Jerk.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I am a jerk, no doubt. That was established long before this post by my ex. I didn't feel that I was violating anybody's privacy by posting what Andy wrote, because, as he said at the beginning of his email, he had wanted to talk to me on the ride. That would have been in public with other people around...not very private.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Sorry, I've just got to ask one more question. You guys have made me think about this again.
Paula, should everyone who dropped Andy that day resign the team, and not participate in team rides they're not leading, or just me?