Saturday, July 11, 2009

Back To The Norm

Three of us met at Punch and set out for the north country. Perfect day for a perfect ride. The winds were challenging, the sky was all blue, the company delightful, and the pace wasn't slow.

I still have the Barry White voice, and yes, am still coughin' up who-the-hell-knows-what-it-is. But I wanted to be out, I wanted to ride. It's nice to be getting that again...the want.

We fought the wind for 35 miles up to Hanover, which took us by the Corcoran Rodeo. We didn't stop. Rode under a canopy of trees along Long Lake, while trying to avoid any skirmishes with 29'ers. What are they doing on the road anyways? Raced with a mail van, finally over taking it, and marveled at the height of the corn.

We skirted by Hanover making our turn south and followed the Crow River all the way into Watertown. Of course, we made the requisite stop at Delano for my Gatorade and Snickers fix. Amy opted for potato chips...serious about a training diet. Charles had two, count them, two bottles of Gatorade. I got my one 32 ouncer down without stopping for air.

The tail wind made me feel like I could hang with the peloton at the Tour de France, but then I realized that they did 27 mph into the wind. Amy decided to go for the green jersey. Charles and I finally had to start boxing her in, so we could mitigate male ego damage. She leveled out all the rollers with an evil little grin.

The green of the fields and trees, were infiltrating everything and seemed to be ready to overtake the roads we were on. Birds were all over the place. A huge eagle flew low across our path. We watched as it searched the corn fields for unsuspecting rodents.

Thanks Amy and Charles, just a delightful ride. 87/20.0

2 comments:

Lynne said...

You are totally trying to hang on to the voice, aren't you? You should have gotten at least two one night stands out of it by now.

Heh.

Heh.

*evil grin*

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Hey Baby.