Wednesday, July 8, 2009

We're All In This Together

Within the first couple of miles I come across Tim. On Sunday, Tim got to ride in an ambulance after going down during the Birchwood coffee ride. I stopped to talk a little and see how he's doing. Tim's an experienced cyclist. The guy in front of Tim went down, and Tim couldn't avoid hitting him. Tim now has staples in the back of his head, and some major bruising on his back and glutes. But he's back on his bike, taking it easy and getting comfortable on his bike again.

About a mile after I see Tim I see two people sitting off to the side on the Cedar Lake Trail. This is just west of the Hwy 100 underpass right by the Abra Auto Body Shop. There's blood on one of the guys...I turn around.

Is he OK?
Heads shake no.
Did you call anyone?
No phones.

He's sitting...no helmet...knees about even with his eyes...head bowed down...he doesn't look up or respond. Half of his forehead is swollen, and blood is dripping from it. There is blood on both arms from his elbows all the way down to his hands. I ask him a question he doesn't respond. I call 911.
911 what's your emergency?
I'm on the Cedar Lake Bike Trail right by Hwy 100. I've come across a cyclist, he's hurt bad.
Where are you? What city are you in?
I'm in St. Louis Park about 200 feet south of Cedar Lake Rd, and just west of Hwy 100. I'm on the Cedar Lake Bike Trail.
You're on Cedar Lake Rd?
No? I'm by Cedar Lake Rd on the Cedar Lake Bike Trail. This guy is hurt bad. It's going to be hard to get to us, there is no access close by for vehicles.
I've got an EMT close by, I'll connect you with them.
Your by Hwy 100 and Cedar Lake Rd?
Yes. It might be best to come into the Abra Auto Body rear parking lot. There's only a chain link fence between the parking lot and us. There's a gate, but it's locked, and Abra doesn't have a key. It's owned by the city of Mpls. You'll have to get through the chain link fence.
Questions.
Male? Yes!
Is he conscious?
He's slow.
Age?
I bend down in front of him. I touch his leg and say I'm Tom. I want to help you. What's your name? Several seconds pass.
Dave.
Dave, how old are you?
A few seconds, 48.
He's 48
Ok. I want to give you some instructions.
Don't move him.
Don't give him anything to eat.
DON'T move him.
Nothing to drink.
The EMT's are on their way. They'll call you if they have any questions.
Thank you.
There's 3 or 4 of us there. A guy had come out from Abra, and gave us some information about access to the trail. A couple of other cyclists had stopped to help. One guy was sitting next to Dave trying to talk to him. Dave wasn't responding.
I suggested we get some information out of his pack, maybe we could contact a relative. One of the cyclists looks through the pack...found an address but that was it.
I can hear the sirens. They're getting closer.
Help's comin' Dave.
I see the EMT heading south on the 100 bridge. I wave.
A police car pulls up in the parking lot. The EMT's arrive maybe 30 seconds later. They talk to Abra for less than a minute. Cop opens his trunk and starts walking toward the gate. EMT's are walking towards gate, with a pair of bolt cutters.
Gate's cut and the cavalry is here.
They get him in a neck brace, and start asking him questions. Dave is responding slowly. Cop puts out some orange cones on the trail. EMT's are doing their job another police car pulls up on Cedar Lake Rd, and then an ambulance. A couple of us cyclist talk for a minute, and each of us thank each other. There's appreciation expressed between all of us. We'd never seen each other before, didn't know each others names, and will probably never see each other again, but we're now friends, and have a bond. We all started to leave. I told the EMT's "thanks, you guys are great".
Thanks for calling this in.
As I'm getting on my bike, I hear Dave....he says thanks about 3 or 4 times. Another friend.

Finished my ride. 33/18.0

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Wow, what a story...you told that very well. I hope Dave turns out to be ok. I'm guessing Dave had gone into shock by the time you arrived. That happened to my husband when he was mountain biking in one of your parks in the Cities about 10 years ago. It's amazing how fast the body can go into shock.

I'm glad you were there HL's to make the call.