Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another One

Last Thursday I saw, stopped and helped with a cyclist down. Today as I was crossing Lake Street bridge (it spans the Mississippi), when heading the other direction, I see a cyclist down. She was flat on her stomach, spread eagle, with her bike laying on top of her. A car was stopped behind her. At first I thought it had hit her. I crossed the bridge to see if I could help. I quickly found that the occupants of the car had seen her crash and stopped to help. She could talk. The car guy asked, "can I take the bike off of you?" She responded with a, "yes". She was coherent, no blood. Slowly we coaxed her to sit up. No marks, no scratches. I looked at her helmet. Again, no marks. "Are you light headed?" "No, I feel pretty good." "What happened?" "My purse strap broke, while I was riding and my purse fell into the spokes of my front wheel." "I think I went over the handle bars." Car guy confirmed she had.
We talked with her for a few more minutes. She had a cell phone, but was quite certain that she could make it home. I quickly checked out her bike. The front wheel was only slightly out of true, and wasn't even rubbing on the brakes.
She mentioned that she could feel a little soreness in her hip, but thanked us, for the help, and was confidently back on her bike heading for home.
I continued on with my ride, once again amazed at the kindness of total strangers. Several cars had stopped, and a pedestrian had come up and said, I only live a block away, do you need anything?
25/17.7

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

I'm impressed with Minneapolis residents. Stopping to see if the down cyclist needed help is awesome!

MrDaveyGie said...

Your a good man, but I find bicyclists are good folks...