Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bonk At 25

Another drop dead gorgeous day...light winds, mild temps, cloudless sky. I felt pretty good when I got up this morning, but could tell after the first couple of crank rotations, I still had lots of yesterday in the old hairy legs. I just reminded myself, you did great yesterday, just pedal and enjoy today. Had a crosswind to Excelsior, then a tail wind up into Baker where I took these images.


Well that was that, I hit that cross wind out of Baker, which was all of 5-8 mph and it was bonk city. I trimmed the Cannondale down to its 42 and hoped I could make it into Wayzata. The apple fritter at Caribou, although delicious and gone in about 3 seconds, didn't really do anything to bust the bonk. The 15 miles I needed to get me home seemed more like a century. If I'd been with others, I rehearsed how I would have told them to go on without me. I wouldn't want to sacrifice their speed for the group. I was expendable.
Made it home and was surprised to see my average speed was rather respectable, for a February spin.
Another great day on the bike...feeling mighty fortunate. 48/16.3

1 comment:

MrDaveyGie said...

A bonk at a 16.3 you are good. Just about ready for the 'season' to start. YaHoo.