Friday, August 24, 2012

When I Was A Little Kid


Usually I was sitting in the car. The glossy vinyl bench seat was huge (my feet didn’t make it to the end of the seat, let alone the floor) and without any safety belts, going through even the slightest of curves, the Ford Country Squire would send me sliding in the opposite direction of our planned route. ‘CCO was on, but I wasn’t paying any attention. What was flying by the rolled down window, or reflecting back to me in the side view mirror was far more interesting.

It really was expected, because he did it so often, but that didn’t change the sudden straightening of my back, and stretching of my neck. I was now focused, there was a position that needed to be stood for, and I was the only one there to do it. What did my dad say? His statement was concise, definitive, and absolute. He simply said, “Oh, no it isn’t”. I only had to think for a couple of seconds. I knew what had to be said. Nothing was more important than the defense of my position. I respond with all the assurance a 5 year old could muster. My statement?  “Oh, yes it is”.

It wasn’t over; he would come back with a response. He loved the debate as much as I did. Only seconds passed, but this time, even though his position was the same, his statement was different. He held the “oh” for a good 30 seconds, with the remaining three words “no it isn’t”, lasting a little less than a half of a second.

This trick was a typical tactic of his, and I was way too smart to fall for it. I stayed firm, resolute, didn’t even blink. Quick, not wavering, I made my position clear once again, “oh, yes it is”. The slightest of smiles slipped across his face, but I wasn’t intimidated.

“Oh, no it isn’t”. “Oh, yes it is”. “Oh, no it isn’t”. “Oh, yes it is”. We could go on for a long time like this and usually did, and then he’d pause. With his hands still on the huge steering wheel, he’d look over at me. Deliberately, confidently and slowly he made a new statement. He enunciated the words. His enjoyment was obvious even to me, a 5 year old boy, as he said, “oh, yes it is”. I froze! Thoughts raced through my curly red-haired head. What? Wait a minute. What am I gonna do? That’s my position! But I can’t agree with him. There’s no way I’m going to agree with him. But that’s my position. I looked down. It was obvious. There was only one thing I could do. I made my stand and said, “oh, no it isn’t”.  He was always so pleased with that response.

Last Sunday I was over at my son’s home. I was talking to my granddaughter, Taylor. She’s the one with the bone disorder and is three years old. As we talked she answered a question of mine with “no”. I said, “yes”. She said, “no”. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, back and forth. She was smiling and enjoying the game, when I tried a trick I learned so many years ago, and I said, “no”. Barely hesitating at all, and with a look that reminded me of my dad, she said, “yes”. A laugh of pure joy came out of me, while a look of total satisfaction was on her face.

No comments: