Saturday, June 27, 2009

What To Do?

The morning began with thunder and rain, so I started looking for things to do, as I waited for drier roads. With only one thing that I commit to every Saturday, finding stuff to do wasn't easy.
Definitely need to replace a worn rear tire, so that was first on the list of things to do while waiting out the rain.
Vittoria tires seem to wear out pretty quick. I like Michelin the best.

With adequate road drying taking place, I took off on an unbelievably humid day. I've come home after getting caught in the rain drier, than today. The humidity was off the charts.

About thirty miles into it the new tire got mighty springy. I found the chard of glass still embedded in the tire, so simply pulled the tube out at the cut, found the puncture in the tube and glued on a patch.

Grey, cloudy, windy and so humid...the effort to Watertown was full of, what am I doing out here questions, despite the rich full green surroundings.
Got the tube back in, re-inflated the tire with a CO2 cartridge, and was back in the saddle and only a couple of miles from having a tail-wind all the way home.
I don't think I've ever sweated so much on a ride. I wasn't even working that hard. Today was a day when it was just too dangerous to put in a massive effort. The sweat was noticeable because it wouldn't evaporate...just too humid, no room in the already moisture saturated air. When I left this morning the temp was 72 and the dew point was 70.
Made the turn at Watertown and enjoyed the eased effort along County Road 6. A good 15 miles before I had to worry about a stop or a turn. Nice ride, considering the conditions, and that I pulled out a ride at all with so much rain around. I didn't get a drop on me...well at least from the clouds. 70/19.0





1 comment:

Dan S. said...

Saw you in Excelsior and yelled your name out the car window. David and I were driving back and forth from his apartment in Excelsior to St. Bonnie where he was moving into his new house. I never got in a ride Saturday but it sounds like you sweat enough for both of us.