Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Something New

Wanted to try out the new Luce Line trail, so found it's beginnings in Theo Wirth Park and followed the dotted yellow line west. I like bike trails, don't get me wrong. I think we need more, and the more we have the better for everybody. The Luce Line is a little toooooo....dysfunctional though. Lots of turns that you can't see around, street crossings that are diagonal so you have to wait for two stop lights at one intersection, because it's against the law to cross an intersection diagonally. It was my first time on it, and I'm a seasoned cyclist, but I made wrong turns because there were no signs indicating which was the path and which led to private property.

I endured to Medicine Lake and then rode north on East Medicine Lake Rd. This was a delightful area and I will definitely be out there again. Came south along West Medicine Lake Rd and then picked up the Luce Line again heading east. Got off at Plymouth Rd and took that to Winnetka, Texas, Virginia and picked up Cedar Lake Trail.

Again a nice easy ride. I don't think I'll be on the new Luce Line Trail much, except that part on the south shore is nice, but like I said, I'll be up around Medicine Lake often.

On The Northwest Side of Medicine Lake
36/16.5

3 comments:

StevenCX said...

I did something very similar on the way back from TuffRide. Luce ran into Medicine Lake and I ended up riding around the lake wondering where Luce was and pointed back the way I came. Gave up and meandered through the 'hood to get home via Victory Memorial and Wirth.

tainterturtles said...

Silly questions, but is this a paved trail, or is it off-road?

Lynne said...

Yeah, I had a really hard time staying on it Sunday. At one point you reach a "Y" and the direction isn't marked. So of course since I'm a woman, I asked a cyclist for directions. Almost missed turns here and there, but managed to stay on the trail-not at all an easy feat. Not at all fond of the paved part.

TT-the first, what-9 miles I'd guess-are paved. The rest is crushed limestone and is long enough to ride all day (I think the trail is 50-some miles)