Saturday, August 15, 2009

South

I actually got to go south today. It’s been a long time, at least it seems like a long time, since I’ve seen heard and smelled good old Scott and Carver counties from a bike.
Despite the lack of rain this summer the farms present robust, ripe fields that seemed anxious to be harvested. For all my efforts to go forward the wind was pushing back hard today, and the air....mighty thick.

I survived the pummeling from the wind for 35 miles and finally arrived in Jordan, which meant it would now be a cross wind for about 10 miles, until I'd finally be heading north and get a little help.
In Prior Lake I was waiting at a stop sign to turn, and a motorist pulled up and asked if I knew where the Farmers Market was. I told him no and asked what city it was in. He said, my girl friend gave me directions... Enough said, all I could do was wish him luck.
There are three things you've got to have for a good hard ride; legs that laugh at hills and like to show off on the flats, heart and lungs that ravenously burn the oxygen they take in, and a mind-set that welcomes any lack of comfort as proof that not everyone can do this.
These three elements of a good ride apparently stayed in bed this morning, because all I could think about was when will this be over. Beautiful ride today, just delightful to be out, and the bike felt great, but my performance was more akin to November rides than mid August. I don't know, it's been a tough year for me. First year in about 10 where I haven't noticeably improved some aspect of my cycling skills.
My crash last September took a lot out of me. I remember laying in the ER thinking, this is not worth it. I'd never thought like that before. I figured I'd eventually get the intensity back that I was so used to, and I'd be setting PBs again in 2009. Didn't happen. The intensity that accompanies youth may have finally fled from my aging legs, lungs and brain to aide a less seasoned cyclist.
Don't worry, I'll never stop riding, but if this season has been an accurate indication, I may be slowing down and riding a bit less in 2010. 78/18.2

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

I hear you. When I think back to 10-15 yrs ago I was setting PB's for running and mountain bike races and I was in my glory. Now years later, I find it hard work and tiring on my body to ride the miles,especially off-road miles. I'm finally accepting the fact that my body & mind are aging.

You know, it's ok to slow down or even cut out some miles. The important thing is to keep riding and enjoy the sights, smells and sounds around you. That's what it's all about.