Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pretty Spectacular

Cool foggy morning, glasses weren't of much use because of vapor accumulations, kept us cool, though, and there was no wind.
The fog changed the look of the familiar route. It's been...maybe five months since we were out on these roads. Good to be back!
Amy, Ben and Steven were my comrades-in-ride today. Good strong group, and they all seemed motivated to fly!
Got to Hanover and Delano in pretty good time. Just after the Lime Gatorade and a Rice Krispy Treat stop, I took the image of my bike computer below while riding low to the ground at 25 mph. That was before we got to the rollers that turn quads into hamburger. The ache in the hams had already set in, but we were close to a 21mph average, and I wanted it.
It sure would be nice if the longer a ride lasted the less painful it would be, but, as we all know, it works exactly the opposite, and today was no exception to that cruel rule.
No wind is great, but it also means there's no extra push at the end of the ride, it's just you and those tired, achy, old, hairy legs.
We kept on pushin' and lasted it out. I got the 21mph average I wanted, with a little extra effort at the end, and I got to ride with good friends and good cyclists. Nice start to the large mileage season. 80/21.0



3 comments:

StevenCX said...

Do you have your wheel circumference set right? We all show a higher speed than this.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I actually measure my wheels, and don't use the preset circumference chart that comes with computer. My wheel circumference is set at 2105 on my computer. Measured twice set once.
Besides you guys were riding faster than me anyways.

tainterturtles said...

So it's March and you all are riding 80 miles? What happens in May, June, July.......? 100+??? You all have a nice start on the riding season.