Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Little Extra Time

Met Amy at the cafe. Green radar blobs, along with some orange and red ones, were quickly moving toward us. Shortened the route to keep us a little closer to home. Also, had all sorts of rain gear, including waterproof booties, a water resistant jacket and a billed cap. It was all needed.
Along Summit Ave we got passed by about 12 riders from Balance, so we caught on to their wheels and followed them to High Bridge. They were a bit on the squirrely side. Not in real good side by side form, lots of trying to keep up, high cadence with butts bouncing on their saddles, and riding beyond their abilities. It wasn't very far up High Bridge and Balance cyclists started cracking all over the place. 
Just me and Amy at the top, which is about when we felt the first of many rain drops. We quickly put on or jackets and just kept on riding.
We rode into some fairly heavy downpours, I think we even got pelted with some small hail. Amy was the first to notice the lightning, and as we all know, thunder always follows lightning.
I was on my "b" bike, and wasn't getting cold. There was a time when it was raining so hard that it got hard to see, and I started looking for some shelter, but in just a couple of minutes the worst of it ended, and our rain gear seemed to be shelter enough again.
To be honest I kind of had fun riding in the storms. Amy and I just sort of laughed it off and kept riding. Of course, when we finally did get home the rain stopped. 46/16.8
The storm shortened ride gave me some extra time I don't usually have on my 80 mile Saturdays.
Got some bike work done. I put new cables on the fast good lookin' bike. I went white this time. I think I like it.

Also, had time to get over to the Rose Garden. Not much happening yet, but caught some early flowers and a Robin enjoying a rainy Saturday too.