Saturday, May 12, 2012

What I Like

We're all different, some like cross, some like asphalt. There are those who won't ride in temps below 40 degrees. Others like climbin' mountains on dirt single track trails. And, of course, there are the lovers of fat.
My one true love is skinny tires, but it's not that simple. I like to ride for miles and miles (I'm warmed up after about 40) and would prefer to never have to stop. I like a single paceline, none of this double stuff (that's only good in OREO cookies), up front for 2-3 minutes, then enjoy the draft as I work my way back up.
Most of the time it's quite laborious to work with the other cyclists. The physical effort, of the ride, is almost secondary to trying to figure out what other riders are going to do. How will they respond to a wind gust, will they scream down a descent, and granny it up a hill, is the corner taken short then wide, or wide then short. What about road debris, are they going to point it out, or just move around it at the last minute. Then, of course, you don't want to be left in their dust, so you're always on guard to make sure you can attach to their wheel, if they try to make a break for a city limit sign, or king of the hill points. Yeah, it's a brutal business, this bike riding thing.
I mention this, because today the cyclists I rode with were as good as they come. Instead of working against they were working with. It becomes intuitive, almost mind reading, a beautiful thing. No instructions needed. The knowledge is already there. The ride is simplified. What a relief when a buddy comes around you to take his turn up front, at just the moment you're ready to crack. Perfection.
I got my ass handed to me on the rollers today. Only congratulations and appreciation as we caught our breath. The end of the ride was filled with tired smiles, back patting, and hopes of a very soon repeat. Today was simply one of those rides that you always remember, and dream of in January. 80/21.0

Mike, Rich (Werbs), Amy. Steve's hanging tough on his cx bike just out of the shot.
Notice how blue the sky is. A Perfect Day!

1 comment:

MrDaveyGie said...

ahhh the love of bicycling just jumps out reading this. Sweet. Oh and thanks for mentioning us Fatties... :-)