Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An Eventful Ride

Saw a ton of people out tonight including, Laura, Karl and Eric. Lots of people heading west, when I was heading east. That's a common theme in my life.
I didn't feel too peppy when I started out, but got a little stronger as the ride progressed. Heading around Lake Harriet I got a flat, so I sat down on a bench right by the lake, and fixed it while I enjoyed the scenery. If you're going to get a flat, that's the way for it to happen. It took a little longer than usual to fix, just because I was so comfortable.
On my Sunday ride I hit a rock that was about the size of a golf ball. The rock ricocheted and came back and hit my bike. I didn't think too much about, because I stayed upright. Monday I noticed my rear wheel making noise when I applied the rear brakes. I didn't think the two things were related. Today I took a look at my rear wheel and found a divot in my rim. It wasn't on the lip, where I'd think it would be if I ran over something, but just above the lettering and still on the rim where the brake pad would hit it. It looked like a tiny meteor hit it creating a crater with a bunch of metal piled up toward one end. That pile or lump of metal was what caused the noise when I was braking. I just sanded it down and enjoyed the "Sounds of Silence" while riding tonight. I figure the divot was created on Sunday by the rock ricocheting and hitting my rim. It's pretty bizarre some of the stuff that can happen on a bike.
Nice ride tonight. 43/17.3

No comments: