Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Face Plant

Tuesday evening I got taken out by some flowers hanging over a guard rail on Minnetonka Blvd. I saw them coming and tried to move out of the way, but knew I was going to hit them. I remember thinking they're just flowers...no problem, but they got caught in my handle bars and turned my bike south into the guard rail. I continued heading east on Minnetonka Blvd finally using my face and the road to stop my eastward momentum.
I've broken my eye socket, cheek bone and jaw. I got 6 stitches under my eye, which is a PB. My previous stitch count best was 4. My knees are pretty chewed up.
I'll be off the bike for a while, and even found myself thinking, as I was laying in the ER, I'm not sure this is worth it.
I was riding with Brian, who was incredibly helpful. He took a no nonsense approach to the crash. He didn't ask any question, and had the cops and an ambulance there in just a couple of minutes. Brian was very reassuring, calm and wise in everything he did. There were several people who stopped their cars, and came over with first aid kits and helped me. Brian also made sure my bike was safe and secure.
My daughter and even my ex came and picked me up and took me home after my 6 hour stay in the ER. My daughter stayed with me for awhile making sure I was safe and secure. She left a little after 2AM.

I'm sore. It actually looks worse this morning. I need to get some ice on my eye.


7 comments:

Christopher Smith said...

Sorry to hear about your wreck, heal up quick!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine it looking worse!

Ride with me when you are healed. I suspect the thought you had (as to whether or not it's worth it) is as much or more of an "injury" as the broken bones and the other physical stuff.

Please tell me they weren't the flowers I told you about that hang over the rail near the pond (close to hwy 101)! I suppose I won't be sending you any flowers ;-)

Seriously, I'm so sorry to hear about your crash.

StevenCX said...

Ouch man! Hope you're better soon! I guess instead of stopping to smell the roses, the roses stopped you!

Trissel said...

Get better Tommy. We'll see you out again soon

Todd-roc said...

OH MY!!!! Dude, I'm glad you up and walking. That's the blackest eye I've seen besides my own!

Anonymous said...

Heal quickly! I hope your eye is okay.

Jeff Burmeister said...

Ouch!!! Again, if you need someone to run to the store, let me know. I'll be running around our neighborhood all weekend long.