Sunday, February 8, 2009

Great Winter Ride

A little frosty at the beginning of the ride. Mounds of plowed road side snow produced frozen glacial lakes encroaching onto already slick roads, but as the day wore on cold toes warmed, frozen puddles thawed, and smiles were plentiful.
It really was perfect winter riding. A jaunt out to Wayzata with the requisite coffee and pastry, then around the lake to Excelsior and unfortunately home. I was interested in riding more, but again, knew that I'd be paying a high price tomorrow, if I did.
We rode past my September crash site today. First time, for me, since the crash. It brought back the memories, the ambulance, the ER and my recovery. My face and teeth still aren't completely healed up, but I'm at 99%.
I was also reminded of how kind, caring and helpful strangers, my friends and family were to me. I was very lucky.
A nice, very nice ride. Delightful conversation. Thanks, Amy and Sascha. 51/15.6

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow, I didn't think you'd ride by that spot for at least a year. So what prompted you to ride by there?

The mileage and energy are started to tick up again, aren't they? Nice. :-)

tainterturtles said...

Took time and read your September 08 posts....that was a mean face plant. Our son was hit by a car while riding his bike this past fall. I totally understand your hesitation about getting back on the bike. It was a slow process for our son, but he got back on the bike and is still riding this winter. I'm sure riding by your accident spot today was a mental stab...glad you recovered ok.