Saturday, December 26, 2009

ICE

Started raining about noon yesterday. Turned back to snow around 8pm, and then everything froze. There was 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of ice on the roads and trails. I have to admit, I was pretty nervous as I started. I rode to the LRT trail head in Hopkins and then started down the trail, but it was so bumpy with solid-ice foot prints and ruts that, for me and my lack of technical skills, I just turned around. Still plenty of solid-ice ruts and foot prints on the paved trails, but they seemed more manageable, for whatever reason. As I continued to ride I got more and more comfortable. The Winter Beast really showed it's stuff today. Wound up being out for 4 hrs.
99% of the ride was on ice. Never went down. Only time I slipped was when I was off the bike. Nokians are worth their weight in gold, and they are heavy. 44/??

Icy Path
It Was Beautiful Out But Dangerous
Minnehaha Creek Not The Trail

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Freddie's always amaze me. Still gaining more trust, not used to riding over glare ice and not ending up on my butt. Sure wonderful to get out what used to be a no ride day.

Lynne said...

I'm so glad to read someone else was a little nervous (even if it was in rougher areas than I was riding). I was feeling pretty down about my attempt, especially after I saw Steven riding like the trail was totally clear *wry smile*

Tomorrow's another day-another try.

tainterturtles said...

I give you all credit for riding in the icy conditions. And no one crashed? Even once? I'm impressed.