Sunday, April 13, 2008

Racing Ducks

The sun makes all the difference. Ice-less roads help too. Took off for Excelsior with some Birchies, and then headed out to Watertown, Delano and Rockford on my own. It was still a little cold, but it was hard not to be smiling with the sun out. That nasty North wind was still blowing, but being out in picturesque farm land, with great looking old barns seemed to take the edge off the wind. From Watertown I went North along the Crow River to Delano and Rockford. The road is up above but, runs right next to the river, so I was looking down at it. Two ducks were flying low to the river. They couldn't have been more than two or three inches off the water, and the were moving. Their wings, or something would just lightly disturb the water as they flew over it. I was moving along at about 20mph, and they came from behind me and passed me, so they were really haulin'. We were moving along together for a few hundred yards, I suppose, then they'd had their fun and landed on the river for a breather.

The farther north I went the more snow was still on the ground. Some of these areas must have really gotten dumped on 'cause there was a good 4 inches still on the ground. I came home from Rockford along Pioneer Trail to Hamel Rd, and then took Tamarack down to Long Lake. It is so beautiful with little if any traffic...so nice!

Unlike yesterday, the closer I got to the cities the more cyclists I saw. Yesterday no one else was out, but today the roads and greenway were crammed. I got a hey Tommy or two from some of the people I knew.

I got home with 81 miles and a 19.1 mph average. I'm very pleased with that. I went out on my De Rosa fixie for an additional 10 miles just to check out my new adjustments. I like that bike a lot. It was nice to be movin' slow on the bike paths around the lakes, and enjoyin' the scenery.

No comments: