Saturday, April 5, 2008

Solo Century With A Surprise

Did my first official century of the year today. Took off on roads that I'd never been on by myself before. I was really just trying to learn a good route out to Afton. I basically followed the route I was on, with friends last week, but did it backwards. It was cool. I followed the Mississippi River from Lake Street all the way through St. Paul out to Woodbury. I headed East on Military Rd and that took me to the St. Croix River out by Afton Alps. Then I just pointed the Orbea North went down some screamin' descents, and maxing out my speed at 40mph. Got into Stillwater with about 50 miles of rubber off my tires. I stopped at a gas station and got some Gatorade, a Rice Krispie Treat, and a Baby Ruth candy bar. Some lady had locked her keys in her son-in-laws truck, and she was waiting for her daughter to bring another set of keys, so we talked for awhile.

I continued to head North out of Stillwater into some nice rural areas. It's was very scenic with lots of pine trees, rolling hills, and lots and lots of birds to listen to. It was almost noisy. I guess now that it's Spring those birds have got one thing on their minds, and they're letting everybody know. It was delightful. I saw rivers, lakes, egrets, hawks, and wild turkeys.

One of my goals this year was to do a solo century at a 20 mph average speed or better. I figured I'd do it some time in June. Well, when I went through my cycling computer readings at the end of my ride today I had ridden 100 miles at exactly a 20 mph average speed. A cool surprise!

I really wasn't trying. Like I said, I was just trying to learn the route out to Afton, for myself. I was hoping to come in with a 19+ mph average. As the ride progressed I obviously got more tired, so I wasn't even feeling like I'd get in a 19 mph average.

So you want to know my secret weapon? I guess there are two. Don't shave your legs (think Sampson), and I will swear by Gatorade, Rice Krispie Treats, and Baby Ruth bars. 100/20.0

1 comment:

Stryrker said...

Ditto on the Gatorade. that stuff works, I tell ya, simple sugars & all. And might I suggest giving Salty NutRolls a chance?? Those ain't bad either, and every gas station has 'em.