Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tough Very Tough

Woke up ready to hit the road and race. Looked out the window and what did I see? Snow, but it wasn't coming down it was going sideways. I've been there and done that. About 6 years ago I was in a race at Ken Woods where the conditions were just the same as today. No excuses, I wasn't trying to be wise, I simply didn't want to race in these conditions. I still remember how bad it was in 2002 (I think it was 2002). I went to bed last night, and said to the book that I slept with, "I'm not racing if the roads are wet". 25 mph winds with gust up to 35 mph and temps in the low thirties, had misery and crash written all over it. I just didn't want to do it. At 9am I emailed my teammates and told them I was out for today.


I did take off on a ride at about 10:30. It was miserable. Easily my most miserable ride of 2008. Not the coldest, or even the windiest, but a major pain in the ass. The Salsa is no longer clean.


I went out to Excelsior right into the wind, north up to Baker and then caught the tail wind home. I was going to head up into Theodore Wirth Park, but got a flat just as I turned north again to head up Texas and Golden Valley Road. This was no ordinary flat. It sounded like a gun shot, which is never good. I was about 6 miles from home so I knew I could walk it. I took a look at the tire and saw that it was a real problem. About an inch square flap had blown out of my tire, not my tube, my tire. I always carry a tire boot with me, so I thought well I'll try to fix this, and see how far I can get on it. The tire blowout was just above the bead, so fitting the boot to give it all the support the tire needed was going to be tricky.


I put it all together, filled it up with air, and it held. Cool! Got on the bike and rode a little way and realized I should run the tire a little softer. Let some air out and gingerly continued on. As I rode I could feel and hear the flap and bulge in the tire hitting the chainstay. I figured the farther I ride, the shorter the walk, so just kept on going.


I got home with the tube still full of air. 50/???


This is after my repair and how I had to ride it home.

This is the boot that made it all possible.












1 comment:

Lynne said...

Wow, that sucks. Maybe you should have raced *evil grin*

Just kidding, sounds like a crappy day. Bummer :-(

Maybe reading all the horrific race reports will make you feel better, lol!