Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nostalgic And Slow

I rode along the river and down into Fort Snelling. Came back up along the trail to 54th Street.
Then I turned west moving between 54th and 60th street all the way to Xerxes. I was born on 58th Street. I went by my old elementary school, the house I was born in, and my junior high school all of which are on 58th Street. I saw homes of childhood friends, remembered names, relived first kisses, losing fights, playing baseball and riding my old Schwinn. I've done this many times over the years, it always brings a warm, fond, happy feeling.
After terrorizing my old neighborhood one more time on my bike, I stopped by my daughter's home and spent time with her and my grandson. He's 5 and showed me his hermit crabs, and told me that he likes silvered back gorillas, at the same time showing me how they stand. He pointed out that animals with round shaped eyes hunt during the day, and those with slivered shaped eyes hunt at night. I asked him when he hunted. He thought for only a second or two and said, "in the day". He showed me how to cheat at darts, and had a T shirt on with a picture of the Incredible Hulk. I asked him if he saw the movie and he excitedly shook his head yes. His mom wasn't as excited about it, because it was rated PG-13. Dads!
He walked me out the door, because he wanted to watch me ride my bike.
There is nothing...nothing...nothing like having kids. The joy of them as adults, with kids of their own, is just icing on the cake. 33/16.4 plus 12 miles for work

No comments: