Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Too Fast For Perspective

I rode across the Hwy 55 and 494 bridges tonight. They cross the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers. I was struck by how beautiful those river valleys are, and how easy it is to miss the trees, lakes, rivers, and water fowl, from the perspective of a car traveling at 60 miles an hour. I dipped down into Fort Snelling State Park and absorbed the tranquillity. I got lost in the soft stillness and silence with no desire to rise out of the valley and be found. The path was persistent though, and led me up and back to the city. As I was heading west on the greenway, at the end of my ride, I saw two police officers running toward me, with guns drawn. They were looking up and to the south away from me, as if I wasn't there, but still .... disturbing. It's nice to be able to escape on my bike.
37/16.8 and an additional 12 miles on my bike earlier for work.

No comments: