Saturday, June 28, 2008

Windy Solo Century

I rode into uncharted territory today, at least for me. About 25 miles of this route I've never been on before. With the wind out of the west I headed straight into it. The sun was relegated to more of a strobe light by the clouds, and I did see some llamas again. There were 4 of them. They were each on a leash in a farmers front yard. I got a pretty close look at them since they were maybe 10 feet off the road. They're big! Nevertheless, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what I saw today.
There were no flying monkeys, but I did fight with the wicked wind out of the west.
Sled dogs are trained by tying them to a pole with a very short leash. I got a feel of what that might be like today. Out of my first 50 miles maybe 10 weren't head on into a 15-25 mph wind. More than once the thought crossed my mind, what the fuck are you doing this for? I was uncomfortable, not because I was working so hard, but I just wasn't going fast, and my leg speed was achingly slow.
Finally, finally I got to the western most point of the ride. I turned south and despite a tough cross wind, started feeling some freedom. I was off the short leash. At 50 miles my average speed was 17.7 mph. I stopped and got a Gatorade, and then started feeling the freedom. I don't think my computer knew what to do with speeds now registering over 20 mph. Another turn, and this time to the east...no leash...not even a collar. My bike even twitched with excitement. This is what we'd both been waiting for. 24, 25, 27, 30...Yes, this is what we were made for...speed and power.
The little towns came up so fast, first it was Lester Prairie, then New Germany already? It seemed like just a few minutes passed and I was in Mayer.
It's hard to know how much effort to put into the wind. It's easy to burn up all the energy you have, leaving nothing left for the wind aided finale.
The hard work was worth it, as the last half of the ride felt effortless considering the speeds being displayed in the middle of my handle bars.
At about 80 miles I started feeling my earlier effort, and 90 miles got me worried about even coming in with a 19 mph average. On Excelsior Blvd I got a little extra kick from somewhere, and was able to carry that onto the greenway and home.
The question, what the fuck are you doing this for? is now answered. I beat the wicked wind of the west. 105/19.6
Got to admit 20 would've been nice, but solo? with this kind of wind? I'm very pleased.

1 comment:

StevenCX said...

105 miles at 19.6? Wow.