Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

Got a delightful solo ride in this morning. Saw Greg out dryland training, and then about a mile later heard "happy Thanksgiving, Tom" from Kurt. About 3 miles from home Randy is walking along the creek, so I stopped and we talked for a good 15 minutes. It always amazes me that I live in a metro area of 3 million people and still feel like I'm in a little town or village, where it's easy to see people I know every day. 21/16.2

Not Bike Related Warning

Once home from my ride, it was time for more work, because I had assignments for Thanksgiving dinner. Made from scratch is the way I like it, so I got to work on the rolls, yams and pumpkin pie. I was 10 minutes late to dinner, or I would have had photos to show off what I made, nevertheless, my assignments were still warm. I'm blaming my tardiness on Randy and the unscheduled 15 minutes I enjoyed talking with him.
The kids, grand kids and my ex were waiting patiently, and we were soon sitting around the dinning room table that we had purchased together, that I then got in the divorce settlement, and then sold back to her about three years ago. Life can have interesting ironies.
I also brought a dvd that my son Ethan had transferred some old family videos to. My kids were unbelievably cute, when they were little. It was an absolute joy to watch 'em sledding, opening Christmas presents, and playing their trumpet, tenor sax, and piano. However, when I saw some images of my parents on the dvd, it became obvious how much I still miss them. I had to go outside to deal with my grief on my own. I am one thankful man.

Amazing Sunset Colors Tonight

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Are you sure it wasn't the "special" hot chocolate that made you late?

tainterturtles said...

Wow...rolls, yams & pumpkin pie? Homemade? Way to go Harry Legge's. I'm impressed because you even managed to get a ride in along with the baking assignment.

I'm sure your Thanksgiving felt different without your parents. Memories can make one feel happy & sad at the same time.