Saturday, January 31, 2009

Heaven

Temps up to 45 degrees today, and I think my nose got sun burned. Is this January?
About 10 of us showed up and all we could do was talk and smile. Nice easy pace out to Excelsior on the LRT. Just gorgeous! About half peeled off at Lake Minnetonka.
The rest of us got off the trail on to paved roads and that itch became a little more noticeable. Tail wind, louder tire hum, not a whole lot of chatter, harder to breathe, heart beating faster, and then there was a gap! Uh oh, this wasn't a friendly winter ride anymore.
I usually like to inflict the pain, but today I was hangin' on for dear life. Two more dropped off. Somebody said, "Ok let's really hammer now". I'm thinkin', what were we just doing? We played hard. I figured, Ok you want to do this, I'm sittin' in, I'll just hang on. We were rarely below 20 mph as we went through Baker. Remember it's January, cross bike and studded tires. I didn't see it today, but it's always beautiful through Baker. One of my favorite places to ride. It didn't take long and we were in Wayzata and the two that dropped off were there. They looked a little surprised that we got there so soon after they did. The ride from Wayzata home was tame.

Lots of activity on the lakes today, including a bike race. We stopped and watched for a while.


A Crowded Calhoun

Icarus
53/15.1




1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Nice photos! Sounds like an intense ride...20 mph +! Wow