Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Recipe For A Sub-Zero Ride

For some reason, or lack of reason, I had to ride outside today. When I was driving around for work and it was so beautiful...tons of sun, bright white snow and sub-zero temps, all I could think about was being outside on my bike, not inside. So here's today's recipe for a sub-zero ride, which started with the air temp at -4 and windchill at -18, and ended with the air temp at -5.

Wrap rider in:
1 R.E.D. Frequency snowboard helmet
1 pair ski goggles
1 Gore windstopper balaclava
1 hooded jersey
1 long-sleeved winter jersey
1 base layer
1 Pearl winter jacket with windstopper front panels
1 pair bib knickers
1 pair Pearl bib tights with windstopper front panels
2 pair knee-high wool socks
1 pair Lake boots
1 pair toe warmers
1 pair hand warmers
1 pair glove liners
1 pair Scott -32 gloves
Place rider on 1998 Canondale F2000 MTB with drop handlebars and studded Nokians.
Add a little insanity and a lot of passion.
Crank at about 60 rpm or 12.2 mph for 1 hour 45 minutes.
Remove rider from bike.
Toes and fingers should be red and tingly, but not white.
Immediately remove all wrappings from rider and place in hot shower for no less than 45 minutes. A little pruning of finger tips and toes may occur.
Wrap rider in warm dry clothes and place gently on couch.
Let rest allowing all endorphins to flow freely.
DO NOT disturb rider.
21/12.2

3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

I loved your sub-zero recipe! There was one thing missing from your ingredient list...Saran wrap, however I think the booties and toe warmers probably take the place of Saran wrap. One good lesson I learned years ago was to wrap my feet in Saran wrap for a warm and very cheap way to keep the feet warm. I'm sure times are much more sophisticated now! I would like to see the toe warmers however!

I admire you for your dedication to cycling in these sub-zero temps. I'm not sure what is worse...sub-zero temps or blazing hot sun while climbing a 2 mile 7% grade hill?

Lynne said...

tainterturtles: Dedictation....or....? Bwahaha

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Yeah, who would hang out with such a guy?