Saturday, April 2, 2011

Great!

I've gotta admit, last Saturday was a little demoralizing. Only one way to fix that, and that is to go do it again, only this time better. Same roads, same rollers, same bike, same old hairy legs. We did add one pretty good hill and about 3 more rollers by Lake Independence. I think about 9 people showed up. As we came into Wayzata we came up on Joe from Mellow Velo http://www.mellovelotours.com/ . He rode with us for about 10 miles. The wind was pretty much in our face all the way into Watertown (30 miles). Not too far from Watertown, but definitely in the middle of nowhere Steven got a flat on his sew-up (tubular for you young people). The puncture must have been too big, because the slime didn't seal. He was screwed, no spare. Called his girlfriend and was only able to leave a message. Rumor has it he got Freewheel Bike and their mobile shop to come and rescue him, but I'm pretty sure I saw vultures circling not too long after we abandoned him to evolutionary fate. That only left 4 of us to try and make it to Delano. YES! Delano was achieved. Amy Got Her Cheesy Crackers Ben Lightened His Layer Load Taylor Expertly Mixed His Banned Substances
And I Had HoHos and Lime Gatorade In Delano (Lisa, this is very nutritious)
Well, leaving Delano meant climbing out of the Crow River valley and enduring many painful rollers, of course, with a smile not a grimace. Fortunately we had some help from that wind that was slapping our faces all the way into Watertown. Now it was gently patting our backs with encouragement. There was a little.....activity on these ascents and rollers. I suppose it could be called frisky friendly competition. This activity left the old hairy legs with an ache I hadn't felt for months. I hate to say it, but....it was sort of nice to feel it again. I guess I've got a little masochist in me.

Once out of Baker and into Orono we came up on Paula. She rode with us all the way back to my place, and continued on with Amy.

Simply put, this was a really good early spring ride. Very good effort. We showed that route who's boss and Amy and I redeemed ourselves from the ugliness of last Saturday. 75/18.9

4 comments:

StevenCX said...

I also show 18.9 until the flat. Wish I could have ridden further today!!

MrDaveyGie said...

I would need a double dose of cheesy crackers to keep up with those youngsters.
I Love the 'good ache' of gett'n er done.

Keep on Crank'n

amy said...

I showed 19.1. Must have been my blistering pace too and from Punch. Redemption indeed. And thank goodness for it, because I was headed for early retirement last week.

tainterturtles said...

Tom, Tom, Tom....we need to talk! I'm really worried about your nutritonal choices....I'm disturbed over your HoHo satisfaction.