Saturday, April 30, 2011

Side-view Mirror

I was having a very hard time being patient today. The rain that was predicted to end around 11AM stopped at 2PM. I decided to inject a little extra intensity into what now had to be a shortened ride. Hills! Short, steep and lots of them. I wasn't very nice to the old hairy quads, but after each hill I slowed and let them recover. They are only mildly miffed now.
I haven't been on some of these roads for several years. In younger days, I'd hit these hills a couple of times a week, and wasn't very giving when it came to recovery after each ascent. Now, I really don't have a say in whether there is a recovery or not.
The hills on this route, end with a succession of 4 rollers, spaced with no time to recover, each getting progressively steeper and longer. Serious oxygen deprivation awaits at the top of the last one, along with a right turn into Purgatory Creek Ravine. Fortunately it's a long gradual descent before the long gradual ascent out of Purgatory.
Along Excelsior Blvd where it intersects with Wiliston, I stopped on the right side and behind, not beside, a delivery van. It had its right turn blinker on. I was surprised that it didn't turn while the light was red. I looked up and into the side-view mirror and saw the driver trying to determine where I was, then a woman's face appeared in the mirror. She was looking to see where I was. They looked at each other. They both looked in the mirror again and we all saw each other. I motioned that it was clear for them to turn. They looked relieved and appreciative and made their turn. It felt really good to know that there are some drivers out there that are being really careful. 50/18.4

After I got home and showered I went to a bike display, swap and sale at the Hexagon Bar. Live music, beer and only people younger than me were there. These are a few of the bikes I saw.




2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

We had all day rain with temps hovering around 48 degrees. I hope this weather ends soon.

Interesting bikes at the swap sale. Beer, music and bikes.....sounds like a perfect afternoon.

Wow, you all had 1/2 inch of rain today according to cco!

MrDaveyGie said...

"Now, I really don't have a say in whether there is a recovery or not." <--Dang so true, somehow I am trying to adust to that, to enjoy what I can do, and ignore what I can't.