Thursday, January 21, 2010

Slicker Than Snot

Just before departure the rain and sleet started, and it continued for about a half hour, as my glasses will attest to. Yeah, I'm insane enough to go out on glossy pavement. It's slickness went unnoticed until a foot was put down at a stop light. It was safer with the Winter Beast moving than at a stop. A friend posted on Facebook that the greenway is an ice rink and he went down. My only issues were when I had to stop. My foot slipped every time it came in contact with the asphalt. Fortunately I never went down...not even a close call. The Winter Beast and it's studded Nokians are pretty amazing. 21/12.6
You can see the icy sheen in this photo. Also, notice the cyclist on the left at the top. I didn't see him go down, but he got off and walked it.
Those of you who have been following my blog for awhile may remember when I announced that Old Blue, my former winter bike, had been stolen, from my storage unit. I was notified, after today's ride, by my complex manager, that it was found. The complex had it all this time. They are the ones who had gotten into my storage unit, and removed all my stuff, not a burglar. Their poor record keeping indicated that I was not the one whose possessions were in that storage unit, when actually I was. They moved all my stuff out, put it in unlocked complex units, and gave my storage unit to a new tenant. I'm glad to have Old Blue back, but I'm kind of screwed, because I really don't need two winter bikes, and I'm going to have a hard time choosing between the Winter Beast and Old Blue. Anybody want to buy one of two really good winter bikes? As it stands now I have nine bikes, and a 2009 Orbea Orca frame waiting to be built up. I think it's official I'm a bike addict. Seriously, I may need to have an inventory reduction sale.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

That totally sucks. Is Old Blue intact? I vote for Old Blue.