Sunday, January 3, 2010

Winter Sunday Solo Ride

Woke up at 9:30 this morning. Gotta admit that felt really good. It did keep me from getting out until a little after 11. That was good though, as the temp had climbed all the way to -5.
Part of my morning was spent finally getting a computer put on the winter beast. Now I can be depressed about how slow I'm moving along in this cold.
I decided to head out to Excelsior on the LRT. It was a spectacularly beautiful day. Everything seemed sharp, crisp and in focus. The snow creaked, squeaked, whined and groaned under the winter beast's Nokians. The sun couldn't have been brighter or more ineffective.
I got to Excelsior and my layering had worked great, but was pretty wet. I guess I'd been putting in a decent effort. That trail was like riding a paint mixer for two hours, man it was bumpy. Nevertheless, I was having fun, even with a suspension-less winter beast. A couple of those bumps did try to launch me.
I'm feeling good, and today's ride was a total blast, cold, washboard-trail and all. The winter beast was a champ handling everything perfectly. There wasn't a moment when I felt cold. I got home and the temp had moved into positive territory all the way up to +5. Kinda balmy! 32/11.7

3 comments:

StevenCX said...

"The sun couldn't have been brighter or more ineffective." So true!

tainterturtles said...

I wish I had some of your mental/physical toughness!

MrDaveyGie said...

Me too, never felt cold today. I purposely withhold MPH from myself in these conditions. That way can pretend I don't know I am averaging 7 mph. :-)