Saturday, January 9, 2010

THIS IS LIVING!

What do you do when you live in Minnesota and the morning temp is 14 degrees below zero?
One option is to get Amy, Chris and Taylor and head out on the bikes. What a spectacular day! We rode along the Mississippi into downtown Minneapolis looped around on the Hiawatha Trail and headed south along the river to the falls then up to Harriet and Calhoun. I got in a little extra loop over to Hopkins, and to be honest I didn't want to stop then.
The wind was light, lots of runners out along the trails, and like last week, they were wearing red faces and frosty balaclavas.
I had numerous queries regarding my sanity as I planned this ride, but look at what others were doing on a day where the temp did rebound to a balmy 8 degrees above zero. 37/12.2

Others Rode Bikes
Some Flew Kites and Balloons On Harriet
Others Played A Little Pick Up Hockey On Isles


While Some Enjoyed The Solitude Of Wirth
Who Could Resist A Tube And A Snowy Hill?
And A Game Of Football
While One, After His Ride, Got Out To Take Photos

Who needs warm sandy beaches? WHAT A PERFECT DAY!

4 comments:

Lynne said...

I had such a bad ride a few Saturdays ago that I've been too afraid to go back out. Were you on roads? The roads looks clear but narrow-how are the cars? Give you a lot of room? Also, how are the road crossings on the trail? The sidewalks on Minntetonka are terrible and I never see anyone biking on the road East of here (to get to the trailhead). But I'm thinking even Minnetonka is better than walking the sidewalks.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I haven't ridden on a road since the Christmas snow and rain storm. Side roads are laughable. The shoulders of main roads are full of snow. I'd stay off the roads. Trails are all in good shape despite the ice.

tainterturtles said...

Your day sounded perfect. Great pictures too. I hope you treated yourself after riding 37 miles.

MrDaveyGie said...

Awesome, good riding good trails. My daughter lives outside St. Paul and I've noticed all the bike trails that are in the area. One of these times I visit, I need to bring my bike.