Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Above Average

That sun is getting higher in the sky, and those temps are slowly creeping up - all the way to 34 degrees this afternoon. When the trails are sloppy and loose, like they were today, I've got to concentrate too much on what's 10 feet in front of me. Not a whole lot of opportunity to enjoy the bright sun and scenery.
It was Old Blue's turn today. I'm always faster on it, but feel more comfortable on the Winter Beast. Go figure.
In the back of my mind, there's been a bad thought lurking. I see all of this snow piled along the trails and know it has to go somewhere when the melting starts. It will pool on the paths, as it does already, and refreeze at night. I'm afraid the paths will be treacherous and impassable during the spring. The roads will be the only alternative, which is fine, but I expect the pot holes will keep the good bike and wheels in the garage longer than I'd like. I worry too much. Back to the present. 21/12.7

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

I sure do also worry about the ice/snow. Riding on roads with ice patches and cars that have to park more out from the curb. Makes me think about a crash. The biggest reason I fear a crash is not the injury itself. I will deal with that. But I fear a crash mostly because of the potential risk of not being able to ride a bike.
Safe rides to all of us.

StevenCX said...

Noggins get bonked in the spring.

tainterturtles said...

Potholes are my worry. I'll never forget the cyclist that crashed out in front of our house on the highway. It was spring and the pothole was filled with water. The poor guy did a header. At least he crashed in front of the right house. Bike man fixed his bike and tire the best he could and the cyclist was on his way.

Safe riding ok?