Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tough Trails

We'd been out for no more than 10 minutes and we see another eagle flying low by the west shore of Lake Calhoun. Two days in a row for me. Pretty cool!
Amy and I started out at 10am. I wanted to stay off the roads, because I was afraid that there had been some re-freezing over night, and there would be a lot of ice to deal with. I think I was wrong. The trails wound up being loose, sloppy and bumpy...not what a couple of roadies like.
Lots of talking today, which was very nice. Temps comfortable. Once again I was on the Winter Beast. We rode along the creek and river into downtown. Came back along the Hiawatha trail and had a very brief encounter with about 6 hoodlums. Nothing happened. They tried to intimidate us a little, and were blocking 90% of the trail as we rode by. We were cautious. Kept riding, and feel fortunate that nothing happened. We probably should have just turned around when we saw them, but it worked out OK...just a little nerve-racking.
We turned west on the greenway and soon came up on the Ice Bike Race at Isles, which is part of the City of Lakes Loppet going on all day today.(I'll be there tonight with Emily, for the Luminary Loppet) We stopped and watched for a few minutes, and got to talk with all of our friends. We were getting chilled so took off, with Steve tagging along.
Up into Theo Wirth on bumpy loose trails again. Smarter people finally prevailed and we got our bikes on the roads which were, oh so much smooooooooooother.
Nice, nice ride today. Good work out on the Winter Beast, pushin' all those studs.
I think we'll be on roads tomorrow and I'll break out the Evil One. 41/12.2

3 comments:

StevenCX said...

Roads were great today. I was rolling on fat hybrid tires.

MrDaveyGie said...

Hi Tom, I'm up in St Paul and see the piles of snow you guys have hangin around. More snow coming I here, I better head back south soon. :-)

tainterturtles said...

Sounds like a good Saturday ride.

I'll have to remind my daughter about the hoodlums that sometimes hangout on the trails. I do worry about that, but hopefully she will ride with her friend until she gets comfortable with all the trails.