Saturday, July 3, 2010

Just Miles

Whole body, not just the legs, but also the lungs were in on the conspiracy. Apparently there was some sort of alliance made with the brain, as well, because even trying to hunker down and focus was unsuccessful in putting up a serious effort on the asphalt.
With the heat, humidity and wind a part of the conspiracy I gave in to the burning lungs and unresponsive quads conceding this day to just miles, but future efforts will be committed to the quest for speed.
I'd planned to go farther south, but I just couldn't bring myself to fight the 20mph wind, with gusts over 30mph. The crosswind battering my left side was far more acceptable, than the straight on onslaught of a southern route. So west to Waconia.
Lake Waconia Waconia (30 miles) marked the turn of relief where the south wind was now no longer a part of the conspiracy. Mayer, Watertown and Delano all came much too fast, as I wanted to continue feeling like a TdF contender. Reaching Canada by nightfall was a possibility with this wind.
HoHo's and Gatorade in Delano!
Delano also marked the point where it was me against the wind again. It would be reduced to a crosswind for the last 30 miles home, but the heat was now taking over the role of abuser.
93 degrees is hot, but it's downright oppressive when the dew point is 70 degrees.
Hopkins Marked The Last 8 Miles Before Air Conditioning (notice the flag)
Great Post Ride Recovery Drink I'm pleased with today's effort. These were tough conditions. 84/18.8

2 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

excellant stats, tough day, more to come, keep on, keeping on.

tainterturtles said...

Bravo...I'm clapping for you Tom. Great job in this hot muggy weather.

I still scratch my head every time I see you mention HoHo's and Gatorade!

I've never tried the Chocolate Silk, but I'm sure its refreshing.