Saturday, October 2, 2010

Foxholes And Fall Colors

Mike, Paula, Amy and me on a perfect day for a ride. Temps started out definitely nippy, in the 40's, but the sun couldn't have been brighter. These are the kind of temps that motivate you to move along so you can stay warm. The roads ideal, several had recently been re-paved and it was smoooooooth sailing. A little bit of work as we headed into the wind to Hanover, but overall it was a nice moderate pace. We saw some glorious fall colors in Medina and along the Crow River. I've come to believe that there are no Atheists in foxholes or when viewing fall foliage. Just awesome.

Mike was in great form as he was fresh off a stunning performance at LoToJo, a 200 mile race from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He finished in just over 9 hours and was still in great hill climbing form as he handed my ass to me up Christmas Lake Hill and Purgatory Creek ravine. Paula also raced LoToJo, and finished in just over 10 hours. Unbelievable!

It was one of those rides where the most common thought in my mind was, it doesn't get any better than this. 82/19.6 (this is a really good result for me, at this time of year)

I was home for about 5 minutes when Amy called and said, you should grab your camera and get some pictures. A train derailed off the tracks by your place. It's just at the end of your parking lot.









Not sure what caused the derailment. I talked with a couple of the railroad guys. They were not very talkative, and not real happy that I was there. I'd gotten there before they did. No one was hurt. About 30 minutes ago (11pm) they cleared all the cars from the track. The derailment took place at 1pm. They've got to repair the tracks still, but anticipate trains will be moving along the tracks again by tomorrow, Sunday. They fixed that all up pretty damn fast.
Spent several hours talking with Gabrielle this afternoon. That was so nice. Then had beers with my old cycling buddy Gordy tonight. Girl problems!
All-in-all a pretty interesting day today. Think I'm going to go to bed now.

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

You had a full day, and then some. Nice photos of the train.

Lynne said...

Apparently you had to be more daring to get the whole explanation. I walked up to the car that was leaning and not actually completely tipped over yet, and the engineer came over to me and warned me not to get so close. The engineer was super nice and told me the track broke (I could see it sticking out of the ground) and then the car derailed because there WAS no rail there anymore. I was a good girl and backed up to get my photos, just out of squish zone. It was an interesting end to a good ride day, huh?
I'd like to say our pace was close to yours, but although it wasn't even close, it was also good for this time of the year!