Saturday, January 14, 2012

Anniversary

I was out solo. My cycling buddies Ron and Gordy were not into winter riding. They were creating rivers of sweat in their basements; while I was trying not to freeze off anything too important. Temps were starting out the New Year low, I suppose saving something for the eventual ramp-up that would come in March. The year, 2007, looked promising. I was finally feeling recovered from shoulder surgery (broken clavicle), my youngest daughter would graduate from high school, child support payments would end, my dream of a semi-retired life style would become reality, but little did I know that this particular day was going to lead to something that I never planned on, or, for that matter, even imagined.


I was on Evil’s predecessor, which was stolen. The Evil you now know looks identical to his forerunner. Up ahead of me on the snow covered street were three cyclists. One of them had a bike that looked just like mine. As I passed them I cordially said, “nice bike”. No response, but one of the cyclists suddenly asked, “do you know how to get to Wayzata”?

It took me a second or two, but I could’ve sworn that was a girl’s voice. All those heat retaining layers had hidden facts that I’m usually quite adept at noticing. I had to think fast. Three girls, one guy, and they were going to Wayzata. I even impressed myself with how quick and sure my response was. Uuuuh, yeah.

Not much was said, after that, but they all fell in line and I tried to look as cool as possible. I think we mentioned names, but even then I was no good at remembering anything. Their plan was to stop in Wayzata and then head back home. I had planned on 60 miles, and before I met them, a stop in Wayzata was not on the itinerary, but this was just too good to pass up. I ordered a cup of hot chocolate and placed my helmet and gloves at the table they were sitting at.

Balaclavas, gloves, hats and helmets all came off, they started talking and I just sat there kind of nodding my head. I found out they all rode for a team called Birchwood, which I soon discovered had a very strong womens team. I was intrigued. There were even more women out there?

One of the women at the table was very quiet, with short blonde hair, and she wore a unique earring. She looked all of 23. I had kids older than her. I mentioned that I was going to continue to head west, none of them seemed too interested in continuing on and the blonde said, she could only do it if we slowed down. I thought about them as I rode out of Wayzata, especially the blonde, something connected.

I was looking for a team to ride with. I had raced unattached. Gordy and Ron both had gone through life changing events that would not only keep them from racing, but from riding regularly. I needed some new people to ride with. Maybe Birchwood would be a fit and I could get to know this blonde a little more.

I rode with that blonde again today, not quite as quiet as she was that first time we met, but it was once again a cold, snowy Saturday in January only five years later. What a great friendship. Amy still insists she was most definitely not the one who asked how to get to Wayzata.

Today 60/15.2 We rode through Wayzata, and continued west not stopping any time during the ride, and nobody suggested that we slow down.

3 comments:

amy said...

hey, you should have told me it was our anniversary! Oh, the fateful day, the day my life was ruined by cycling, the day that I lost all my free time, the day I lost thousands of dollars to gear...little did I know how many tears would follow, how much gagging, snorting, weeping, complaining. And the day I got me a new dear dear friend in a very unexpected package. Thanks for changing my life Tom, nearly all for the better! It simply wouldn't work without you. Thanks for making me normal!

tainterturtles said...

I love the anniversary story. So that's how you two met...friends forever I think!

I'm always so impressed with Amy's riding abilities. If Amy can keep up with you Tom, then I know she's a great rider.

Happy Anniversary Amy & Tom!

annie said...

oh yeah, this was the beginning of the end. amy and i were fairly well-matched riding buddies before this, and now i haven't even got a chance of eating her dust. damn you, tom russell. look what you've done.