Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Reminder

Not quite as pleasant as the last few days. Wind and cold combined to remind that it is still Minnesota in January. Additional layers weren't as helpful as I had hoped, and that tingle crept back into the toes and fingers. Needed Evil. 20/14.2

Made cereal from scratch the other day. It turned out really good.
This is what I included:
1 very ripe banana
1 cup oats
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)

Mix up, spread very thin on parchment paper, and cook at 375.
I cooked it for 15 minutes, then tore it into small pieces, about the size of a nickel. I put the pieces back into the oven for another 5 minutes, checked on it, not wanting it to burn, and then returned it to the oven for yet another 5 minutes.
It turned out very good and crunchy. I let it cool completely and then put it in an air tight container. After a day or two it had become even crunchier. I also found that it stayed crunchy in milk. I suspect that this would stay good for a couple of weeks, if stored air tight. A mason jar works very well, even with previously used lids.
I also figure this would be a pretty good snack to take along on rides, just store it in a ziplock bag.




2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Wow, this sounds really good. And to think the binding ingredient is one banana......very cool. I need to try your recipe. This baked cereal would be great in yogurt too!

MrDaveyGie said...

I'm going to try this one....