Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cold And Blustery

The last 7 days of weather have been rough. Today's ride temps started in the 30's and hadn't even climbed out of the 40's by the time I got home. I even got rained and sleeted on. Tough going for me today. The old hairy legs just didn't have any snap. The solo effort into the northwest wind quickly drained all the octane out of the quads.
The sun popped out once or twice for an all too brief appearance, which was nothing more than teasing.

30 miles into the ride. You can barely see the downtown skyline. It's directly above the horse on the horizon. I'm still heading Northwest away from the city.


The head wind ended at Rockford and turned into a crosswind in my favor.

Crow River at Watertown. The 50 mile mark.

Finally at Mayer I got a true tailwind, but was toast and couldn't take much advantage of it.

Here's the route I took:
Almost cut it short at Watertown, but, even though I wasn't getting the speed, I still wanted the miles, so continued on to Mayer and Waconia.
Stopped in Excelsior for a chat with old Ron. Wished Laurie a happy Mother's Day. She also had a birthday on Thursday. I had ulterior motives and think they may be working. As I left Ron said, "man, I gotta talk to Laurie and start getting out on the bike more". I just smiled and said, "call me any time man, any time". 89/18.8

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Wow Tom, I'm surprised you went that far today despite the cool temps & wind....very nice.

Hummmm, the Harry Legge's just might feel it tomorrow however.

MrDaveyGie said...

Good push, and I think Ron is headed for a comeback. Did you ever wonder what makes us ride a bike as often and as far as we can? I work with 60 or so people and none of em have been on a bike in years.