Sunday, May 2, 2010

Retrospect

I was feeling pretty good after yesterday's ride through hurricane force winds. That all changed today. I was wiped out.
Rode solo up into Baker (my usual Sunday route). Still windy, but nothing like yesterday. I was quite content to take it easy. Lots of sun. Turtles were out sunning themselves on felled trees. Birds were singing, and the lakes were a deep dark choppy blue, with a white cap or two on top.
I pulled into Excelsior and needed a little fuel. The Lucky Charms this morning didn't do it for me. Dunn Bros. was my choice for a peanut butter rice krispie treat and hot chocolate. Saw some buddies there and we talked about yesterday's wind. They'd raced up in Marty. Numerous racers were knocked off the road into the ditch by the wind. In a sprint finish, a racer went down, due to a wind gust, breaking several bones and suffering a concussion. He's still in the hospital today.
I have to admit I was a little scared at times yesterday. Now hearing what others were going through trying to navigate that wind, I'm feeling quite fortunate that Amy and I got home with only our nerves a little rattled.
One of the buddies I saw today at Dunn Bros had a scar on his neck, that ran from just below his Adam's apple, up to his gland, to just below his jaw bone. It was still fresh and looked like stitches had only recently been removed. I asked what had happened. At the Ken Woods race a week ago there was a pile up in front of him. He hit it and went over his handle bars with his neck landing on a the chain ring of a bike, which was already down.
Retirement ain't so bad. 50/17.4

10 comments:

StevenCX said...

I don't like those stories.

MrDaveyGie said...

Yeee gads. Injuries are always lurking for those of us that ride the edge. I'm grateful everyday they pass me by when I park my bike. I know the rewards are well worth the risk.
Ride on bro.

Lynne said...

A woman on TCBC didn't make it today because she also went down-HARD-yesterday when a wind gust knocked her over. That was some nasty wind. Surprised at how few trees/branches fell, considering!

tainterturtles said...

For feeling tired today, I was surprised to see you ride a 50 miler. I'm always amazed!

tainterturtles said...

PS. Hi Lynne....good to see your comment today.

mrbill said...

Reading your post made me think about an almost wreck I had this weekend, a rider in front of me decides to pull over and stop right in front of me just as I was looking down for a moment, I look up, whoa, jerk to the left, barely miss him and thank my lucky stars, I could almost feel the pavement

Lynne said...

Hi TT :-)

MrDaveyGie said...

Lynne, you know it's your fault I landed here on Mr Tom Harry Legges blog. :-)

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

There's a lot we can blame on Lynne.

Lynne said...

I *am* the corrupter. Thank you. Thank you very much.