Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nobody Ever Listens To Me

The wind only got stronger today, AND it rained, And it was in the 40's. Story of my life.
It was pretty ugly out there, and I almost went to the gym. I know, I know. Understanding I'd have to face myself in the morning, and not wanting to feel the shame of working out at the gym in May, I dragged the tights out, and layered up more than I have since mid March. Post ride shower was long, and the red bean soup, for dinner, was perfect. There was a moment of light in this evenings ride, as a stereotype was debunked: A Mercedes stopped for me and a Prius didn't. 31/16.7

Tom's Red Bean Soup
Soak 1/2 cup of red beans 18 hours
Rinse
In a slow cooker add
soaked beans
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups of water (depends on the consistency you prefer)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp rubbed sage
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ginger
1/4 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
Cook for at least 2 hrs on high.

Serve over dumpling noodles or with soft bread sticks or rolls.
Corn Meal muffins are awfully good with this too.

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Yahooo, getting on the bike just seems to make the whole night feel right.
Red bean soup sounds like good carbo for tomorrow's ride.
I'm currently carbo loading with beer and Doritos.

tainterturtles said...

Ok, ok....I'm one of those whimps that hit the gym this afternoon, but I did make a date with my lady friend for a trail ride tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Never had red bean soup, but it sounds good. Poor Mr D....he needs nutritional counseling!!!!

mrbill said...

Harry, I'm listening, Bean soup sounds good.
No pulling out the tights here and unfortunately not much rain, over 90 degrees here already, could be a rough summer, oh yeah, we do have wind.