Sunday, May 23, 2010

Way Too Much Bike Maintenance

Topped off the tires with air before heading out on my ride, and POW the rear tire blows. I wasn't able to find the hole in my tire yesterday when I got the flat. I was careful to make sure nothing was in the tire that would make it go flat again, and obviously it worked, because I got home on my repair. The psi in the tire was about 60 when I filled it this morning, and I typically run 110. Looking over the tire again this morning, trying to find why it blew, I found the one answer to both flats on the sidewall just above the rim. I'm lucky I got home on this yesterday, because I didn't see it then. I figure the psi was low enough yesterday to keep the tube from blowing out. The 110 psi this morning was just too much.
Finally got out and with 5 miles on the road I hear sproink! then I felt a wobble in the wheel.
I released the rear brake, which allowed the wheel to turn freely again, and returned home. Got another wheel, took the tire off the old wheel (which I'd already done once this morning and twice in the last 24 hrs, now three times), and on to the new one. Also transferred the cassette to the new wheel. I'd rather ride than do bike maintenance any day.
It was a muggy ride, nothing like mrbill has to put up with though. Fortunately the rest of my ride required no more tools or greasy hands. This just wasn't my weekend for riding. Salvaged a 56/18.1 today.
But I had a great Thai dinner and a wonderful conversation with Gabrielle on Friday, and Brit on Thursday....nothing can be bad after that.

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Ahhhhh, yes, the aggravation of repairs "during a ride" I have tires I've removed at "half wear" to try to minimize the flats on the road. Someday I spose I'll put them back on and use em up.

mrbill said...

Sound like a rough day, I concur completely with this statement, "I'd rather ride than do bike maintenance any day. No, Dirty Leggs, I wouldn't wish my HUMIDITY on anyone, I did have clouds yesterday, a real Godsend.

tainterturtles said...

My daughter and I had a lesson yesterday afternoon on changing a flat...I'm sure I will be faced with that situation by myself someday, so it's always good to know what to do.