Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh The Sweetness Of The Road

With a well deserved cup of hot chocolate at my side, I will tell you about all the glory of today's ride.
It had to be road, just had to be. The raging fever was going to be broken. Trails are wonderful, but I can only take so much. I gotta be on the road. Steve and Amy joined in.
Maybe three miles on the greenway, then the salt and sand covered, potholed roads. Cars were pulling out in front of us, pretending stop signs didn't exist, passing us by going into oncoming traffic around curves, and, of course honking at us. But, we were on the road.
Then there's the little matter concerning the lack of hill climbing ability that January brings. These weren't even hills, maybe bumps at best, but they may as well have been the Alps. Studs, full fenders, 3 layers, and the winter tonnage of fat stores all conspired to foil any attempt to summit the slightest incline (fat stores did help on the descents). It wasn't the lungs that rebelled, but the quads. They didn't complain either...just quit. But, we were on the road.
Lots of grunts, groans, and grrrrs. I'm pretty sure I heard at least one AAAAHHHHHGGGG! And yes there was plenty of sweating and heavy breathing going on. Oh the rapture!
Steve said to Amy, "you're being kind of nice, today". Her response, "sometimes you're just too tired to hate".
Both Steve and Amy put on more miles than me. Steve 20 more. Amy was as determined as ever, and she worked really hard to hang on. Pound for pound she kicks my ass every time we ride. Great friends, fun conversation, plenty of teasing, hard effort = GREAT RIDE! Fastest and longest this year! Yeah, Baby! 50/15.4
Oh, and I should mention, the temps didn't get out of the 20's.

4 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

ahhhh yes, the road, the road, the road. It's been a long long time.

tainterturtles said...

I wasn't expecting to read you tackled the "road" today, but guess you did....wow! And it's still January.

50 miles on the road is a pleasure I'm sure. Glad you all had fun. I'm sure that hot chocolate helped fuel your ride.

mrbill said...

Simply amazing, good for yall, I wish I had someone like Amy to pull me. My ride was also nice, didn't get out of the 70's.

amy said...

Thanks for the appreciation Mrbill! It's about time I got some recognition for dragging Tom's noisy, complaining, suffering and generally uncooperative carcass all over this frozen wasteland! Oh, wait, uh...