Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Am That Strong

Took a look at my fixie rear hub last night. Yeah, I know how to enjoy a Friday night! I stripped the threads on the hub. I am such an animal! I made a temporary repair by placing some spacers between the hub and the cog preventing the cog from engaging the stripped threads, but I've got to get a new hub, which means rebuilding the wheel.
Great ride today! Got chased by rabid dogs, that were foaming at the mouth. (there maybe a little embellishment in that last statement, but there were dogs and we did get chased). Had a woman say to me, "Hey, yours is different than mine", which kind of made my day. The route was detoured up by Delano, but we rode through it anyway, and didn't have to turn back. Saw some beautiful rural landscapes, and breathed real country air, that smelled like Spring. God it was great!
Started out with 4 of us. My buddy Ron called last night and said he was sick, then he told me way more than I needed to know about what he'd gone through that day. I'll spare you the details I had to endure. Needless to say, he didn't show. Two of the riders peeled off at Excelsior, but we ran into some cycling friends there and got to talk for awhile. After we left Excelsior, since there were no more women riding with us, we put the hammer down. We got to Watertown having averaged 17.2 mph. Heading North to Delano we were treated to a refreshing head wind, but got the sweet rewards heading South along the other side of the river. Got on County Road 6, where the last rider fell off the pace, so I was on my own into Wayzata and finally home. It felt so good to be on a road bike for a little more than four hours. I kept the hammer down for 75 miles and averaged 17.8 for the entire ride. I'm pleased with that, for this time of year. It looks like it's coming back. 75/17.8

No comments: