Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wintery Crash

Bunch of friends from the team got together for a nice easy paced ride out to Wayzata and Excelsior. With about a quarter of an inch of snow on the roads, I opted for my cross bike and headed over to the band shell. I think there were 6 of us all together. We stayed pretty much on the more major roads, as they were wet, but clear. The side roads had snow on them. It was pretty much single file, and I headed for the front of the group so I wouldn't get road spray all over me. You couldn't recognize who was who when we got to Wayzata, because everyone was covered with road salt, and sand.
About half way to Wayzata Chris decided to ride on the part of the road that still had snow on it, and comes up on my right. He's doing pretty good, but I keep my eye on him and give him a little space, without going too far out into traffic. He's about two arm lengths off my right and maybe a half to a whole bike length ahead of me. Then, Chris hits a rut and swerves to his right away from me. He bounces around for just a couple of seconds, and I try to respond and give him some more space, when he veers sharply and quickly to his left, directly in front of me and goes down. I reacted as best I could. We are both out in the middle of the traffic lane, and Chris is on the ground. It was too late, I couldn't get around him and I couldn't stop. I rode directly over his thighs. I think it was his left leg that took the brunt of it. When I hit him I went down hard on my right side. The force jarred my stem and brake lever askew. I did hit my head, but very lightly which only caused my glasses to jostle slightly. Of course, I had my helmet on. Todd S was behind me and he also went down. I was only a foot or so from going into oncoming traffic. We got off the road, out of traffic, and brushed ourselves off. I made some repairs to my bike. My front tire had also partially come off the rim, so I let the air out and got the bead back in place, and then pumped her up.
After the adjustments my bike was fine, with just a little road rash on the right brake lever. My right elbow has some road rash and is slightly swollen, my right knee is also just a little sore. I must have landed on my butt too, because it's sore. I had a bad case of the shakes, but once on the bike and riding again they went away. We headed for Wayzata and the rest of the ride was uneventful.
Fortunately it's that time of year when there is an abundance of soft fleshy areas on my body to land on.
I recalled riding over Chris' thighs several times during the rest of the ride, and still see it now, which I'm finding pretty unpleasant. Chris was able to continue to ride, but his thigh was sore. He's concerned that it will be even more sore tomorrow. I remember as we were all getting up off the road Chris said, "Hey somebody rode over my legs". I fessed up and told him it was me. 48/14.8

1 comment:

Trissel said...

close call with the oncoming traffic...